The first question on everyone’s mind when deciding to take on a diet is whether it works. No one wants to put effort and time into a venture that doesn’t work. So the question is, does the 3 day military diet work? That is an important issue, and the answer simply is yes! Now you’re wondering the reasons and science between the 3 day military diet. You have every right to consider these things.
This article will show you with the scientific basis of how the 3 day military diet works and the factors that come together to make this diet a solid way to lose weight in a short amount of time. The number one reason why most diet plans don’t work is that the participants just don’t follow the diet.
The 3 Day Military Diet Is Just A 3 Day Diet Plan
It means that you’re able to follow it with more ease than you would with other diets.
So let’s get to answering the question, “Does the 3 day military diet work?” and “How does it work?”
The 3 day military diet is known for the very minuscule amount of calories consumed during the diet. The average amount of calories, you get a day with the 3-day military diet is about 1200 calories a day. It is a lot less than the Total Daily Energy Expenditure; this is the full amount of calories that you burn in a day while doing your daily activities. Even sleeping burns calories, so does sitting on the couch all day. But the amount consumed when sitting on the sofa or when sleeping is tiny.
The 3 day military diet allows you to have a deficit within the volume of calories supplied to your body for its daily activities. Your body gets forced to burn down your fat reservoir and also your body protein. It eventually leads to you losing weight.
Rich In Calcium
So how does the 3 day military diet work? Maybe, the high calcium intake of the foods on the menu is responsible for that.
There are a lot of critics and criticism of the military diet. One thing any knowledgeable dietician will tell you is that foods rich in calcium help you to lose weight. The military diet filled with foods that are high in calcium. These include the vanilla ice creams, and the cheeses namely cheddar cheese and cottage cheese. All these are ideal for weight loss.
Research have shown that when on a dairy diet, most people will lose up to 70% more weight. And there is an explanation for this.
- Calcium is one of the major players when it comes to the breaking down of body fat. It is one essential element when it comes to lipolysis (this is the breaking down of fat in the body).
- Also, calcium conserves thermogenesis. It has to do with body heat. Calcium causes your body to generate body heat, which burns up body fat.
- Also, the amino acids and enzymes in dairy products help your body to speed up the processes mentioned above (lipolysis and thermogenesis), when they combine with calcium.
This shows the potentials of the 3 day military diet in helping you lose that weight.
All About The Grapefruit
Does the 3 day military diet work by including grapefruits in the diet? One thing I can tell you is, grapefruits work wonders when it comes to losing weight. And a significant percentage of military diet is made up of grapefruits.
For years now, doctors and dieticians have known the power of the grapefruit, and now you’re able to learn too. It is likely you already know. Although grapefruit is acidic in nature, when it is digested it lowers your body’s pH level down. It creates an environment within which fat burns faster. It is also well known that alkaline environment of the body burns more body fat than an acidic environment does.
This is the reason why it is not the best idea to replace grapefruit with other foods, not even orange. Although both are citrus, The grape produces an alkaline environment while orange produces an acidic environment. You may use baking soda as a substitute. Some researchers say that, although baking soda creates an alkaline environment even digested that doesn’t influence the rate at which body fat gets burned. It is best to use grapefruits for your military diet.
Also, the military diet is just 3 days long, so you don’t need to take it every day. It is helpful for those who don’t take grapefruit. Research has shown that while on a diet, adding half a grapefruit to your meal helps you to lose more weight.
Does the 3 day military diet work quickly or takes ages to show some action? Since this diet is very short, so it doesn’t trigger the starvation mode. It is a natural body mechanism designed to help us survive. When you eat less over a sustained period, your body naturally reduces the amount of calories it burns to keep it from losing body weight. This mechanism must have saved a lot of lives in the past when droughts and famines forced our ancestors to eat less. If their bodies used up fewer calories, then they could survive longer.
Body Weight And Height
There are those who complain about the successes that the military diet promises. Your body mass and your height need to be put into perspective when it comes to the military diet. It is because, the shorter and slimmer you are, the less your Total Daily Energy Expenditure would be. Which means the calorie deficit gotten from the military diet will be less and you would lose less weight.
So does the 3 day military diet work? Well, we are slowly finding out how this diet works.
Intermittent fasting is another technique that is involved when you take on the 3 day military diet. Research has shown that it is good and helps you lose weight. This is so because you keep your body guessing about it. As mentioned earlier, when you fast for an extended period, your body burns fewer calories. But when you use intermittent fasting, your body doesn’t go into starvation mode. It will keep your metabolism running on an all high trying to provide you with energy.
There are five different types of intermittent fasting methods out there. The 3-day military diet integrates these systems into its food, specifically the eat stop eat dieting plan.
It is an excellent way to lose weight. The military diet incorporates this into its design. Also, the different combination of food means that your body will burn more calories. Which helps you lose weight faster.
Does the 3 day military diet work? The intermittent fasting employed enables it to work.
Low On Carbs
So by now, you have gleams into how the military diet works? One of the key points that make the military diet work is the fact that the meals are very low in carbs. Which means there is no pasta, rice, potatoes and all the other foods that are high in carbs on this menu. The most carbohydrates you will receive is the one slice of bread and the few saltine crackers included. There are a lot of veggies and fruits that are low on carbs in the menu. There’s quite a significant amount of protein-based foods on the menu also.
So how does this deficit of carbohydrate benefit those who are trying to lose weight? And why are carbs so bad for weight loss? And how does the 3 day military diet work by limiting carbs? Well with the help of contemporary research and studies, this question has been adequately answered. Here are the reasons:
- Carbohydrates digest fast. Carbohydrates including sugar digest fastest as compared to fats and oils and protein. What this means is that you will feel hungry faster. The longer your digestive system takes to digest food, the more satisfied you will feel.
- Carbohydrates lead to more triglycerides in your system. Triglycerides are fundamental particles in your blood, and their job is to circulate fat around your body. This fat gets burned for energy, so triglycerides are important. However, a higher amount of carbs means a greater amount of triglycerides, which means a higher amount of fat in your system.
- Carbohydrates lead to a higher glycemic index. If you have much sugar in your system, your body will inadvertently store more fat, in expectation of hungry days when you will need the fat stored up.
These doesn’t mean that you should stop taking carbohydrates. They are still an important part of every diet. Just minimize the amount taken in.
On an average day, you should make sure you take less than 300 grams of carbs a day, and when you are trying to lose weight, you shouldn’t take more than 130 grams of carbohydrates a day.
High On Protein
On the flip side, the military diet is very high in protein. A high consumption of protein is excellent for your body. That’s why eggs, chicken, cheese, and meats are crucial if you wish to lower body fat and build muscle mass. You would need these foods in high amounts.
So if you are looking to lose weight, it is a good idea to eat more proteins and fewer carbs. The military diet is high in protein. How does the 3 day military diet work by including high protein foods?
- Proteins digest slowly. Proteins are food that takes longer to digest, what this means is that you will feel fuller for much longer. Also, research and studies have discovered that when your body metabolizes protein it does that much very slowly as compared to carbs. It means you will not feel the urge to eat for a much longer period as compared to carbohydrates.
The meals of the military diet are high in protein and have low-dense energy foods. This makes you feel fuller for longer. It is imperative to weight loss.
- The body burns more calories metabolizing protein as compared to carbs. Another reason why proteins are so good for weight loss is that, your body burns much more calories just digesting and metabolizing protein. Up to 30% of the calories in protein get used for digesting it. It means you will end up with lower calories.
- Proteins lowers the glycemic index.
- Muscle burns more body fat. Because a high intake of protein allows your body to build more muscles, you spend more energy burning the fat in your body. While on the other hand high carb intake leads to your body storing more body fat.
Also, a high protein diet comes along with health benefits such as a reduction of blood pressure, cholesterol levels, and also lowers the risk of heart problems.
Does the 3 day military diet work with fats? The vanilla ice cream component of the diet is one of the most debated aspects of the military diet plan.
Yes, it is true that ice cream is a high-dense calorie food (meaning it has a high concentration of calories). And it increases one’s appetite. It typically leads to you eating more. Which means that, it can be a wrong kind of food to eat on a diet. However, there are some advantages of ice cream that will help you lose weight. This is especially true when it gets consumed alongside other foods that are high in protein.
The high protein foods in the diet will help you keep your food intake in check. Also, ice cream is a low-carb food. It will contribute to keeping your blood sugar level quite low. It is best that you don’t take the low-fat ice cream versions. These are high in sugar and will cause your body to store more body fat.
However, a low-fat diet also has its benefits if you are a woman who is sensitive to insulin. It means you need to know your body well before starting any diet at all. An appointment with the doctor should be able to answer all of this questions before you embark on this adventure.
How does the 3 day military diet work by limiting sugar? We all know that too much sugar is bad for your health. I bet even a 6-year-old knows that. In summary, for someone trying to lose weight, sugar is high in calories and triggers your body into storing more fat. Besides, sugar is very addictive and difficult to quit on.
The craving for sugar by our ancestors allowed us to survive when food was scarce. However, in most of the world, food isn’t scarce, but your body doesn’t know that. So, therefore, it is up to you to take control and eat as little sugar as you can.
Low-fat products are one of the culprits of high sugar level alongside sweet foods such as candy bars.
For many years, it was believed that fatty foods are the cause of obesity. It turned out as incorrect. Fatty foods contain fats, but a high intake of sugar causes your body to store up fat and not oxide it.
Meaning, a diet with high-fat and high-protein will have you lose more body fat than a high carb, low-fat meal. It is important to know this.
Even a small amount of sugar has the potential to increase the glycemic index through the stimulation of insulin.
Consume Enough Water
Dieticians typically suggest that we all drink enough water, but only a few of us understand why this is important. The reasons for this are very simple.
The advised amount of daily water intake is eight glasses of water. It adds up to a little below 4 liters of water. Which seems a lot, but it is easily manageable. Here are the reasons to drink a lot of water on your 3-day military diet.
- Makes you feel fuller. When you drink enough water, it fills up your stomach and reduces your craving for food. And it has zero calories.
- Keeps your body functioning properly. Water keeps your body functions in check. It also stabilizes the chemical imbalances in your system.
- Increases metabolism. Research has shown that, when you take water, your body metabolism rate increases and you burn more calories. 8 cups of water a day burns up to an extra 100 calories daily.
Do Not Consume Alcohol
How does the 3 day military diet work if you do not consume alcohol? Some researchers encourage moderate consumption of alcohol these days. Drinking alcohol is okay while consuming alcohol in moderate amounts have it benefits. But if you wish to lose weight much quickly, you should stay clear of alcohol. Here are some reasons.
- Alcohol increases appetite. The more you eat, the more calories you will take in. It can mess up your diet.
- Alcoholic beverages such as wine and beer has calories. Beer is made from barley and is, therefore, a good source of carbohydrates. When you are working to lose weight, this will mess up your daily calories intake. Wine also has calories, since it gets made from grapes. And it is more likely that you would need up drinking more than just a glass. The military diet doesn’t allow for additional calories, so alcoholic beverages are a no-no.
- Alcohol dehydrates the body.
When you start the military diet, you should do so on an off day, when you’re resting instead of active. It is important to exercise as you normally would. It will enable your body to burn more calories.
So Does The 3 Day Military Diet Work?
The military diet is built around sound principles. It combines a high protein diet with a high-fat diet and a high calcium diet while limiting the amount of carbs taken in. It also includes the principle of intermittent fasting. All of these comes together to let you lose weight fast. I will encourage you to exercise, as usual, take in the grapefruits and drink a lot of water. And you would shed some weight. And now you must be clear about the initial question “does the 3 day military diet work?”. Yes, it does!